Peacock's Penny Bazaars established 1884...
Albert Frank Peacock founded the company in Warrington, Cheshire in 1884; a true Victorian Penny Bazaar selling anything and everything.
His founding principle of value helped Peacocks develop a successful business that continued to grow throughout the twentieth century.
In 1940, Albert’s son, Harold, moved the business to its current home in Cardiff.
Growing into clothes...
During the following years Peacocks continued to establish itself as a value-for-money retailer. From the mid 1990s onward Peacocks experienced significant development and growth and a greater emphasis on fashion, which helped to propel the brand to even greater success in today's market.
- 1997 - Peacocks has a management buy-out.
- 1999 - Peacocks floated on the London Stock Exchange.
- 2002 - The Peacock Group acquired value retailer Bonmarche.
- 2004 - The Peacock Group opened its first international store in Bahrain.
- 2006 - Peacocks delisted from the Stock Exchange to once again become a privately owned business.
- 2008 - Peacocks exceeds 500 stores in the UK.
- 2009 - Peacocks continues to open stores in the UK and abroad. Through collaboration with fashion designer Pearl Lowe. Peacocks continues to strengthen its fashion credentials.
- 2012 - EWM Group buy Peacocks